Make a claim
Our 12 step guide to help you in the event of an accident
- Stop – you can be prosecuted if an incident has caused damage and you leave the scene.
- Decide whether the incident is serious enough to call 911. Are there any injuries or damage to vehicles or property? Can you see if anyone has been drinking? If the incident is not serious call your local police, who will tell you if they will attend the scene or ask you to contact a Collision Reporting Centre within 24 hours.
- Move your vehicle out of the way of traffic if it is safe to do so. If it isn’t, turn on your hazard lights or use any warning triangles or cones available.
- At the scene don’t discuss whose fault the accident seems to have been, don’t apologize or admit any fault or liability. Don’t sign anything or promise to pay for damage at the scene.
- Ask the other drivers involved for their name, address, driver’s licence number, telephone number and registered owner’s details if different.
- Request the name of their insurer and if possible their policy number.
- Make a note of the vehicle licence plate, along with the make model and colours of any other vehicles involved.
- Ask for the names, phone number and addresses of any witnesses before they lose interest and leave the scene.
- Note details about the incident including the time, weather and location.
- If you have a camera it may help us if you can take photos before the vehicles are moved.
- It may also help if you draw a picture of the accident while the details are fresh in your mind – you will need this for the collision reporting centre.
- Contact us as soon as possible on 1-84-INGENIE-4 to report the incident.
Download the accident report form and keep it in your vehicle to help you if you're involved in a road incident.
- It is important that you remain calm.
- Don’t argue with other drivers or passengers – save your story for the police.
- Be careful of unauthorized tow truck operators and don’t be pressured into having your vehicle towed. If you are worried ask the police or call us.